School Express, Inc. is a direct contractor of school districts in Adams and York counties. Van drivers must be available to work A.M. and P.M. runs and early dismissals; noon runs are optional. Drivers transport special needs and regular education students to and from their assigned destinations. Daily work schedules are determined by their assigned educational institutions academic calendars and summer school calendars, student attendance, route changes, as well as severe weather or emergency closings, and snow make up days. Employees are responsible for checking their assigned school calendars for school closings and snow make up days to prepare for their daily work schedule. The Management Team will notify employees by phone or radio when severe weather or emergency closings occur. Van drivers must travel the shortest and safest distance between their designated stops. Employees are not permitted to bring their children, family members, friends or pets with them to work.
Employees have reasonable assurance of continued employment in the same or similar capacity with School Express, Inc. at the completion of summer break, inclusive of any subsequent recess or breaks during the academic year. If at any time such reasonable assurance does not exist, School Express, Inc. will provide written notice to employees who no longer have such reasonable assurance.
Nothing contained herein constitutes an employment contract. Your continued employment is on an at-will basis. At-will employers may terminate employees at any time for any reason or for no reason, except for legally impermissible reasons. At-will employees are free to resign at any time for any reason or for no reason.
- Academic-year: Generally a nine month period when classes are held, usually beginning August and ending in June.
- Summer school: Generally when classes are held for those students needing additional educational instruction over summer recess, usually beginning in June and ending in August.
- Summer recess: An extended suspension of business generally occurs beginning June through August.
- Vacation: A scheduled period during the school year in which activity is suspended.
- Holiday Recess: Scheduled time off during a school year for commemorating holiday events. School year holidays generally occur on: Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas vacation/winter break, Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday, President’s Day, Memorial Day and Spring Break, but these holidays could vary due to snow make up days.
- Teacher In-Service Days: A scheduled day(s) during the school year in which student activity is suspended for teacher workshops and training.
After reviewing the van driver qualifications and requirements below, if you are interested in applying for a position with our company you can download an application and submit by mail, fax or email along with a copy of your valid PA driver's license. Or make an appointment with the Office Staff to stop by during business hours.
If interested in an office position, you must also meet Van Driver Qualifications and Requirements listed below. You will need to provide a valid PA driver's license, a complete application and resume. Please submit by mail, fax or email.
Van Driver Qualifications
- Minimum age 21 years old
- *Have a valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License with a clean accident, traffic violation and driving report for the past three (3) years from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
- ~Obtain and have no evidence of a Pennsylvania Dept. of Education FBI Federal Criminal History Record (Fingerprinting) required under Act 114 of 2006, Section 111 of the Public School Code amended effective April 1, 2007. Fingerprinting record cannot be more than one (1) year old.
- ~Complete annual physical examination requirements for Pennsylvania School Bus Operator’s Certification, including verification as required by Section 1416 of the School Code that such employee or agent does not have any form of tuberculosis in a transmissible stage.
- *~Obtain and have no evidence of a Pennsylvania Child Abuse History clearance as required by the Child Protective Services Law. Clearance cannot be more than one (1) year old.
- *~Obtain and have no evidence of a Pennsylvania State Criminal Record History as required under Section 111 (Act 34) of the Pennsylvania Public School Code. Record cannot be more than one (1) year old.
- Complete and pass Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse training
- *~Complete and pass pre-employment, random drug and alcohol screening
- * = School Express, Inc. will perform random testing periodically at company expense
- ~ = School Express, Inc. expense, however if an employee fails driver requirements, resigns or is terminated from employment before one calendar year from the date the certificate(s) issue date School Express, Inc. will deduct the expenses as listed below from final paycheck and if the final paycheck does not cover the amounts for full reimbursement the individual is responsible for paying the amount by cash or check within five (5) days of failure, resignations and/or termination.
Van Driver Requirements
Must be available to transports students to (AM run) and from school (PM run) plus accommodate early dismissals; noon runs are optional.
Have a good character and attitude, must be neat, clean and appropriately attired at all times, wearing company provided uniform
Have easy access to a telephone and/or cell phone and/or internet access
Must be able to read and follow map and/or written directions with and without notice
Must be able to read, write legibly, keep records and turn in required paperwork on time (daily mileage sheets, timesheet, bi-weekly mileage sheet for turn in day and semi-yearly evacuation drills)
Must report mileage information on paperwork turn in day as well as payroll details to the Office Staff no later than 12:00 p.m. the next business day
Obey all laws and regulations of the Bureau of Traffic Safety, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
Provide information on any driving violations, child abuse and/or criminal act that may violate job qualifications
Maintain order, safety and discipline of students complying with S.E.I. Transportation Rules and follow, review and comply with the School Express, Inc. Employee Handbook at all times
Complete daily pre-trip inspection of assigned vehicle, weekly oil level checks and adding company supplied oil when necessary marking your timesheet in appropriate area when completed
Must be able to operate company radio and notify Office Staff when students are absent for transportation to and from assigned destination
Assist students getting into/out of car seats, boosters and vehicle when necessary, making sure all students and passengers are secured in seatbelts
Immediately notify Management Team of student concerns by phone or email
Notify Office Staff of needed vehicle maintenance; lube, oil and filter (every 4,000 miles), semi-yearly inspections, etc. using company website or by phone
Properly fuel vehicle, entering correct odometer reading and assigned PIN number
Must keep company vehicle and equipment clean and well maintained
Employees are not permitted to request time off for the first and last ten (10) days of school
Employees must make all personal appointments between their runs not to conflict with their daily work schedule. Do not commit to appointments prior to receiving approval for time off.
Attend mandatory safety/training programs and meetings
Following 90 day probationary period, become a regular addition to S.E.I. Team
Failure to adhere to these requirements may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination. Nothing in these requirements or job description alters the at-will relationship between School Express, Inc. and its employees.